In my youth, I had a very special affinity for Christmas. It was a purely spiritual experience for me. The sights, the sounds, the scents and the tastes all would contribute for my love of this special holiday. Over the years, the experience went from spiritual to one that was customary and hardly special. Then it went to routine. Then tedious. Now it’s a feeling of indifference. I felt that the world had changed and made Christmas a bad ol’ commercial. I blamed the crowds, the savagery and the indifference to Christmas contained in others.
But society is not to blame for this, I am. No one or thing can make me feel good or bad unless I want them to. I can only bring back that spirit for myself. Now that I have 2 children, I not only have to do this for myself, it’s my responsibility as a parent to do it for them. Therefore I have resolved to overwhelm myself and family with the Christmas spirit this year.
The day after Thanksgiving, we had a family meeting and have decided on some initiatives to help us with that. Here they are in no particular order:
1. Decorate the outdoors and indoors of our home with lights, wreaths and decor
2. Purchase 1 new decoration for each the outside and inside of our home
3. Fill the home with Christmas scented candles
4. Attend a Colonial Christmas dinner at Riley’s Farm
5. Send out a Christmas card to family with portraits of our children
6. Select a Christmas tree as a family
7. Decorate the tree with the fireplace on, to Christmas music while drinking egg nog and hot cocoa
8. Cook a Christmas goose! Can’t wait for this one!
9. Attend a tree lighting event
10. Vintage Santa portraits for the kids
11. Drive the Pasadena Christmas light tour while listening to Christmas music
12. Light the fireplace every Sunday evening
13. Listen to the Nutcracker suite at least once this season
14. Make a Christmas craft with the kids
15. Make Christmas cookies
16. Go to Disneyland for the Christmas experience
17. Watch “It’s a Wonderful Life”
18. Go to 1 Christmas classical music event
19. Try 3 new Christmas beverages at Starbucks
20. Take plenty of photos for this season
21. Take plenty of Christmas inspired photos and post on Intstagram. Follow us @fotonuova
I hope that some of these can help you and your family to bring that spirit back. I will leave you with a very powerful and inspiring scene from one of the greatest Christmas films of all time.